Monday, October 15, 2018

Rhode Island - Day 11 - dogs & Narragansett

Oak Leaf Family Campground
Thursday, 11 October 2018
today's route
I came down south on Route 102, which is becoming my go-to route because it's relatively easy to drive on.  Online maps keep wanting me to go east on Route 6 and then south on I-95, but Rt. 6 is absolutely ghastly to drive on.  The speed limit is 50 mph and I can't go any faster than 35, which means frequent pullovers to let cars by, and it means all of us inside being jarred badly.  Rt. 102 is really looking pretty this time of year.

The dogs had an appointment this morning at the Gnarly Dog to be evaluated for day care.  They said I should give them an hour, so I took off.

I drove south into Narragansett, which I remembered from times here with Momma.

First along the way was the Coast Guard House, which is a restaurant next to a very well known landmark building.
Coast Guard House

historic building










I didn't have enough time to do more exploring but will come back when I'm in the campground down here next week.

I went on down to the Pt. Judith Lighthouse, another well known landmark.
Pt. Judith Lighthouse

basketball court with stunning view
The Coast Guard's basketball court next to the lighthouse must have the best view of any basketball court anywhere, with the ocean on 2 sides.

sample of coastline the lighthouse is guarding
I ran out of time and couldn't make the turn off the road to see the Fishermen's Memorial so will come back to that another time.

Back at the Gnarly Dog I learned that Gracie had been great and Dexter not so much.  They thought he might not be suited for large groups of dogs and suggested I try him again on Saturday, when they usually have a much smaller group.

Not feeling very confident with that verdict, I went in search of the other doggie daycare I'd gotten the name of - Bow chika Wow Town.  Where do they get these names?  I found it, which was no easy task since it's on a short and obscure side street, but I found it and explained the situation to the people there, who were happy to try to help but said they almost always have more than 20 dogs a day - which is far more than Dext seems to be able to handle.

Finally, I called a trainer they gave me the name of and explained the problem to her, and she said she'd email me some options and prices this afternoon and I could get back to her with what I wanted to do.

Not having accomplished much, other than having an hour free from doggie responsibility, I drove back to the campground before it got too close to serious traffic time.

Sadly, the trainer didn't email me anything, and she'd told me she wouldn't be available by phone tomorrow, so I'll just wait to see if she sends anything then.

No comments:

Post a Comment