Sunday, May 27, 2018

New York - Day 27


Cumberland Bay State Park
Sunday, 27 May 2018

I woke up really early this morning, so the dogs and I were able to have a nice long walk around the whole park before people started getting up and walking their dogs.  In fact, we were so early, we got in another walk several hours later while most people were still in bed.   And we luckily had some sun earlier so I could leave the dogs tied up outside the RV for a couple of hours where they could play with each other and look at everybody going by.  Since then, the wind’s really been picking up and now there’s a little rain starting. 

It turns out that doesn't faze some enthusiasts here.  Several camping groups have packed up and left, probably because this weather wasn't what they'd hoped for.  But there's a batch of people - mostly young men - kite surfing and having a ball.  If you blow this photo up, you can see how many people are actually in the water.  I counted 18 at one point.  They're wearing wet suits, of course - that water's pretty cold and you can see from the surf there's a wind chill.
kite surfing in Cumberland Bay
I bought some chicken and am cooking it in my slow cooker; that’s the advantage of staying in one spot, that I can use my sockets which only work if I’m plugged into a power source or if I’m running the generator, which I don’t want to do for hours and hours.

I’ve done some reorganizing of my storage system – now that I’ve been living here for several months I have a clearly idea of what I need.  Even though I brought only a fraction of what I wanted to bring, I still brought a lot more than I need.  I don’t want to give the extra things away because I’ll want them in a less nomadic future life, so I’ll just keep adding more to my belowdeck storage, I guess.  Too bad I’m half-way across country from my storage unit in Plano.  Give me a few more months and I’ll have most of this figured out, at least what works for me.

I’d forgotten last week to report on finances.  This is for the period of April 15-May 14:
   gasoline           $ 732.43
   tolls                       57.60
   campsites        1,053.20
   propane                46.65
   admission fees     13.00
   supplies                58.20
   consumables      480.28

   total                $2,441.36

Camping fees have gone up over last month both because New York charges more for its state parks than Pennsylvania does, and because I’ve slept in campgrounds every night here, which I didn’t do in PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment